Blog Archive

Monday, September 18, 2017

Rurouni Kenshin Resumes:

Rurouni Kenshin's new Hokkaido arc began today, after 18 years of dormancy.  Very like Dragon Ball Super resuming what was thought to be a finished Dragon Ball series.  The art isn't as good as the original, which is sad, but it's not like it's actually bad or anything.  The first chapter was drowning in nostalgia fanboyism, but that's excusable given how long it's been and how popular the original was.  It will probably become more serious and original starting from the second chapter.  I'll keep my expectations moderate.

We're seeing quite the trend here.  Dragon Ball Super, Bolt, Card Captor Sakura: Clear Card Hen, and now Rurouni Kenshin Hokkaido.  Popular series just don't want to go away.  If the product is still high quality, I have no complaints.

Meanwhile, I cut two more remixes from my good music hall of fame.  Epilogue: Saikai is just an instrumental version of 1000 Words from FF X-2, and Somewhere in the World is a remix of Golbez, Clad in Black from FF4.

Somewhere in the World isn't note for note an exact replica of Golbez, but it shares enough similarities that you can't get Golbez out of your head the whole time it's playing.  This uneasy feeling, this cognitive dissonance, of the song partially but not fully overlapping with a much better song, makes what would be a positive experience in isolation a negative one instead.

After all these cuts I felt it was time to restock on my good music supply.  The best prospect for new good music comes from my #1 composer of all time (at least in terms of quantity), Motoi Sakuraba.  While he wasn't composing for Tales or Star Ocean, he was composing for another franchise called Valkyrie Profile.  I've read comments online that his Valkyrie music was his greatest work, which if true would be saying something, because a lot of his Tales music is incredibly good.  I've got the music downloaded, but it will take some time to properly judge it.

Nobuo Uematsu's music outside of Final Fantasy has proven itself to be worth hearing, so Motoi Sakuraba's non-Tales music should fare the same.  I expect favorable results.


5 comments:

Matthew Jonas said...

You know what, I've read several of your political posts, and agree with just about EVERYTHING you have said! You are truly one-of-a-kind!

Matthew Jonas said...

Besides, your essays on all things anime and manga are nothing short of masterful!

Diamed said...

^_^. Either we should become best friends or you're mocking me, but for now thanks!

Matthew Jonas said...

You're welcome! BTW, it wasn't my intention to mock you. I REALLY appreciate the effort you put into your posts! I think we SHOULD become best friends, though.

Diamed said...

If you've read all the permaposts on my sidebar and still like me, that would qualify. I had a lot of friends in high school and some in college, but none who would stick by a racist.